Thursday, May 15, 2008

We have a climber!

I know this picture taking thing is only going to encourage the behavior, but I couldn't resist.







I remember the first time I was watching someones kid and they were climbing on everything, including the table. My naive thought was, "my goodness this kids parents are not disciplining this child very well." It was a nightmare for me because every time I turn around the kid had climbed into a different dangerous spot.

Well, I take it all back. The boys have never been climbers. In fact, just recently Jaxon taught CJ how to climb the shelves in our closet to get to the shiny things that are on the top. The last few weeks I have found Lexi on the couch or sitting on a chair. I didn't think too much of it. I assumed CJ had helped her up, after all, she is still not walking. She will occasionally stand but only for a few seconds (she'll be 15 months next week). Last night Charlie was in the kitchen with his back to her, I was in the family room and I heard her struggling. I looked over and saw how she had pushed a chair next the the table, climbed up the chair and then climbed on the table. She was crying because she couldn't quite get her legs up. I couldn't believe it.

Charlie said at church on Sunday she was climbing on a chair and then trying to walk to the next one and climb back down. It is not that I didn't believe him, I just had a hard time imaging that our little girl who isn't walking and can only balance a few seconds, would be so brave and daring.

We have a CLIMBER!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Isn't it amazing how before you have kids you think that everything they do is a discipline problem? And then you have a couple of your own and realize that these little beings come with their own personality and free will!! Sam and Rex have both been climbers, that's why Rex had stitches at 15 months!! Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny that she's climbing but not walking! What a cute little girl. If I could post pictures on someone else's blog, I would share with you the picture of Caleb on top of the refrigerator at age 2 1/2... chair - counter - microwave - fridge. Easy!