Just as I suspected, our first born is already off to Kindergarten. I have been saying all summer but especially the last week that my life as I know it is over. And...it is true. No more casual days where we don't eat breakfast until 9:00. No more pajama days....I will definitely enjoy my next life phase and schedule, but that doesn't mean I leave the last one without a little sorrow and dare I say mourning.
Here we are in the driveway ready to drive to our first day of school.

Notice the backpack has a little yellow bus tag that is supposed to get him on the right bus and home to the right mom. It worked out great for CJ although I heard there were a lot of kids that were "lost". In fact may I quote the transportation department for the school district. A concerned mom had called asking many questions on the first day. "Ummm ma'm. I would love to answer your questions, but we have a lot of lost kids right now..."

Jaxon and Lexi were so cute. Jaxon seemed to step it up a little and take care of Lexi. Without being asked or told, he seemed to understand that he had a new role. I love him for it!

I know, it looks like we were the only ones there, but believe me it was crazy! Parents and kids everywhere!

This is how they were all morning. Clumped together holding hands. It was if they thought they would get lost if they let go. Jaxon was insistent that Lexi be with him.

We tried to respect the teachers wishes and stay out of the school and class room but that is where every other parent/kid was so we went in. She told us we should go out and stand by the penguin. Well, there was no penguin to stand by. She didn't really give me another alternative or option so I just left. CJ was extremely nervous at that point. Then we went to the playground where a bunch of the older kids were. He was even more nervous and was holding on tight. Then a neighbor, Ben, came over and asked CJ if we would like to go play with him. For a minute I thought he was a heavenly angel answering my prayers. It makes me quite emotional to think that a neighborhood kid (boy at that) could be so sensitive to my needs (and CJ's). I am very grateful for good neighbors and friends. And I am grateful for good kids that respond and behave well.
Here is Ben & CJ playing. Ben did a great job of teaching him how use all of the equipment.

The bell (whistle) rang and it was time for the kids to go to class. Like I said though the Kindergartner's were supposed to line up by the penguin and the teacher would come out to get them. Here is CJ listening intently to the teacher as she explains the next steps they will take.

Here is Mrs. Connelly explaining the penguin....you see...no penguin.
And then I left him.
Phew!!! He made it home. The poor bus driver seemed the most overwhelmed. They were 20+ minutes late, but the kids had the time of their life and I suppose that is all that matters.
Phew!!! He made it home. The poor bus driver seemed the most overwhelmed. They were 20+ minutes late, but the kids had the time of their life and I suppose that is all that matters.
He had a fantastic day. He got a stamp for being good. He then informed me that not everyone got one because "she ran, and then she ran again. If you don't follow the rules you get a warning and if you don't follow the rules the next time you get another warning and then the teacher has to call your MOM!!" "She" was apparently one of his little classmates that had a hard time obeying the first day.
"Mom, I had a totally awesome day!"
Here is what he did on the first day. He said he sat by Jake (Little) in class and he played by himself at recess.






6 comments:
Way to go CJ! A+ on starting school. No A+ for the transportation dept. Seriously- we have a lot of lost kids today. Oh well then I won't worry so much about my own lost kid. Smooth.
Great journaling and picturing to remember this special day. It was a crazy day, but I am glad that CJ did well, and mom too I might add. I hope he has a great year, because he has a great teacher (or at least I think so)!!!
Good grief...I'm sitting here crying over your blog entry. I think I'm mourning the loss of your pajama days. :) Thanks for sharing. I am glad that CJ had a good day. Mostly I think it's sweet that all your kids were there together. By the way, I'm really confused about the penguin too.
That is adorable. Did anyone ever find the penguin?? If I were the mom in the scenario you just painted, I'd have peed my pants, ripped someone's hair out and been a sobbing, frustrated mess. I'm so glad you did better than I would have!!
Jackaroo started kindergarten last week, and it all happened so fast! We got to his classroom (we had visited the day before to bring school supplies) and he barely let me stay long enough to take a couple pictures.
So grown up!
I lost my Sadie to kindergarten this year. I was sad, but she loves school. Loved this post Dana. I think you're great.
-Camille
Post a Comment